Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Learning to Code with eTextile - Part 2


As I have been watching the learning happening in December as part of IGNITE a MAKER,  I can't be more pleased.  It is even better than  I had hoped.  This past month I have watched Leah, Jill, and myself each dive into eTextile projects, inspiring each other, motivating each other, and figuring thing out individually and sometimes together, constantly growing and inspired by each others progress.  This is the type of learning that Maker-ED is about.

Yet the teacher in me is dissecting the learning and realizing that each of us has some experience gaps that would stop many dead in their tracks.  It didn't stop us,  but it would stop many.  As much as we'd like all learners to become like us ~ fearless, gutsy, willing to take risk,  we also have to honor that some learners need a more linear path.    And even for those of us who are comfortable with the messy path that learning takes as we create and make,  there are times when we want to fill in the knowledge gaps.

And for these reasons  (1) filling in the gaps  or (2) providing a linear path for those who need it,  I've decided to take on writing a series of most that will lay down some foundational understanding of "coding".    There is a part of me that is thinking  "Don't do this,  let people experience learning to code more organically".  There is a part of me that is saying "Yes, do this,  this might be the perfect tool to engage a whole populations of new coders; it will give them the onramp they need to get the confidence they need to play more and explore coding more deeply.

What do you think?  Should I proceed?  Here are the first two post on my blog

Preparing to Code Using eTextile
Learning to Code with eTextile  (Part 1:  Anatomy of an Arduino Program)


What do you think?  Should I continue with this idea?  Is it a worthwhile venture?

Lucie



month period would be the perfect amount of time to develop a relationship between emerging makers
http://learningwithlucie.blogspot.com/2014/12/preparing-to-code-using-etextile.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lucie,
    In my humble opinion, the book "Sew Electric" does a very thorough job of introducing the basics of coding on e-textiles. I do, however, believe that people benefit greatly from sharing their ideas and taking inspiration from other amateurs.

    ReplyDelete